Jan. 30th - Feb. 5th, 2023 - WAITLIST
Jan. 26th - Feb. 2nd, 2025 - REGISTRATION OPEN
This is a unique and rewarding opportunity to help survivors of trafficking & gender abuse have a second chance at a happy life. Each trip is different, and you may have a chance to share your skills depending on what is needed on the trip. The most important aspect of the visits is that you come with an open mind & heart, and connect to women & girls.
Participants should consider this a service-oriented trip rather than a retreat or yoga training. Our intention is that this will be a personal growth and learning experience, an opportunity to understand the truest meaning of selfless service.
To join our Seva trips we ask that all participants raise a minimum of $5,000 by joining our team of fundraisers under our parent campaign on NetworkForGood. The goal is that we raise awareness around the global issue of human trafficking & gender abuse within our own communities.
- Each trip is limited to 15 spaces to maintain an intimate and safe environment
- Trip is all inclusive, excluding international airfare
- $3500 of the $5000 minimum is a tax-exempt donation to our partners 501c3, Her Future Coalition, $1500 is used for accommodation, meals, transportation, taxes, tips, etc.
- Trip is co-led by Tiffany Cruikshank (founder of Yoga Medicine), Amanda Cunningham (Seva Director) & Sarah Symons (founder of Her Future Coalition)
- Trip Guide (what to expect), Fundraising Guide (how to begin) & more supplied once you register
Day 1 – attendees arrive at the hotel, welcome dinner
Day 2 – morning yoga, group introductions, presentations from our partners Her Future Coalition
Day 3 – site visit #1, make jewelry with female metalsmiths
Day 4 – site visit #2, provide workshops with women and children
Day 5 – site visit #3, shop survivor made products
Day 6 – site visit #4, cultural tour of West Bengal
Day 7 – morning asana, closing circle, breakfast & departures
MEET YOUR TRIP FACILITATORS
About Our Partner
Her Future Coalition (formerly named Made By Survivors) founded by Sarah Symons, is an American 501c3 NGO that operates on the ground in India to provide jobs, education and shelters to over 1,000 survivors of slavery, child marriage and other human rights abuses in India and Nepal. Her Future Coalition trains survivors, creating jobs in respected professions with high wages that develop sustainability for the rescued women.
Their most successful program is jewelry! Traditionally, metalsmithing was a male-only profession. The survivors are breaking gender barriers, earning livable wages and uplifting their families and communities through this vocational education and rehabilitation program.
Her Future Coalition is the U.S. fiscal sponsor to several of its partner NGOs on the ground in India, including Rescue Foundation. In 2018, Yoga Medicine® worked with Her Future and Rescue Foundation to open a new shelter outside New Delh. This beautiful new shelter will house over 100 women and girls rescued from nearby red right areas. Yoga Medicine® and the fundraising team have a unique opportunity to help this shelter grow and prosper from the ground up. Our donations will go to vocational education, food and shelter, clothing, formal and nonformal education and more for survivors at the Delhi shelter and at rescue shelters in Kolkata.
THE FINE PRINT
- Travel dates are subject to change due to the unique qualities of traveling to India and for the safety of the women & girls in shelters. Dates to be confirmed 90-days prior.
- Full payment is due 90-days before travel dates.
- All attendees must have travel insurance and submit proof 30 days before arrival to India.
- All attendees must have a valid Visa to enter India and submit this documentation 30 days prior to travel.
- All attendees must pay for and coordinate their own travel (airfare only).
- Donations cannot be transferred to a future trip.
- $3500 of the $5000 is a direct donation and tax-exempt, $1500 is used towards trip fees
HEAR FROM PAST PARTICIPANTS
The greatest impact of my trip to Kolkata wasn’t what I expected it to be. I was focusing on the heartbreaking stories behind the project, but what I found was love and empowerment. The most important thing that I came away with after the trip is the visceral realisation that we can all make a difference and it isn’t as hard as one might think. It is only through empowering others and giving them opportunities that true sustainable change can be achieved.
Amanda Cunningham - Yoga Medicine Instructor
When I heard about the Yoga Medicine® Seva Foundation project and decided to take part, I thought that I would go there to help the women and children. However, in truth they have helped me. Their smiles, laughter and beaming sense of pride was contagious; and reminded me that the future is in our hands and does not need to be dictated by sadness from the past. Every woman or child I met taught me that wherever we live in the world and whatever trauma we have faced in our lives, we are able to grow and move on from it with love and support from the people who surround us.
Yes, of course! Any fundraisers who raise $5K or more are invited on our next trip.
Absolutely! We do ask that all participants are a minimum of 14 years old due to the potentially graphic conversation and information presented on this trip.
Your $5000 must be paid in full 90-days prior to our next travel dates.
Please contact Amanda, the Seva Director, at email@example.com.
While we want our participants to raise awareness in their communities by fundraising, we do open a handful of spots each trip for those who would like to simply write a check to join. Contact our Seva Director if this interests you.